The winners were determined based on the quantity and quality of reviews
TripAdvisor recently revealed the winners of its Travelers Choice Awards in the landmarks category, highlighting the most iconic structures and attractions around the world.
The winners were determined based on the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings from travelers over a 12-month period.
TripAdvisor also included the average accommodation rates for summer for each destination, based on all bookable hotels on its site.
From the worlds largest religious structure to the ancient city of Machu Picchu, here are the 10 landmarks travelers have rated most highly.
10. The product of roughly six centuries of work, the Duomo di Milano is the largest Gothic cathedral in Italy, and one of the largest churches in the world. With 135 marble spires and thousands of statues, travelers will be in awe of its impressive design.
Average summer rates in Milan: June — $141, July — $135, August — $151
9. The Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool in Washington, DC, was designed by Henry Bacon to resemble the canals of Versailles and Fontainebleau. The pool was remodeled back in 2012 to incorporate sustainable water features that draw water from the Tidal Basin into the iconic landmark.
Average summer rates in Washington, DC: June — $307, July — $260, August — $226
8. The Alhambra in Granada, Spain, is part fortress and part palace. The complex includes various buildings and gardens connected by tree-lined walkways, and its central palace complex has an impeccable design. From here, travelers will get exceptional views of the entire city.
Average summer rates in Granada: June — $83, July — $67, August — $71
7. The Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood is the most elaborate church in St. Petersburg, and includes incredibly detailed mosaics designed and created by prominent Russian artists. The church took 24 years to construct, starting in 1883 and ending in 1907.
Average summer rates in St. Petersburg: June — $108, July — $81, August — $74
6. The Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba (or the Mezquita de Cordoba) impresses tourists with its incredible design. Inside the UNESCO World Heritage Site, travelers will see a forest of red and white arches, while a quaint courtyard with orange, palm, and cypress trees can be found at its entrance.
Average summer rates in Cordoba: June — $81, July — $63, August — $70
5. The Taj Mahal in Agra, India, is often considered to be one of the finest examples of Mughal architecture. The UNESCO World Heritage Site is a large mausoleum of white marble that includes a wide expanse of greenery and fountains.
Average summer rates in Agra: June —$33, July — $34, August — $34
4. St. Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City is one of the largest churches in the world. The stunning structure took a total of 120 years to construct and includes works of art by some of Italys most famous architects.
Average summer rates in Vatican City: June — $123, July — $108, August — $102
3. At a size of 401 acres, Angkor Wat, which is located in Siem Reap, Cambodia, is the worlds largest religious structure. The breathtaking structure is surrounded by a vast moat and includes fascinating carvings of intricate figures.
Average summer rates in Siem Reap: June — $63, July — $63, August — $65
2. The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, was created to commemorate the social and cultural contributions of the late Sheik Zayed bid Sultan Al Nahyan. The center houses the impressive Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, which includes the worlds largest hand-knotted carpet and an intricate lighting system that reflects the phases of the moon.
Average summer rates Abu Dhabi: June — $112, July — $119, August — $120
1. The ancient city of Machu Picchu sits within the Andes mountains of Peru and is surrounded by temples, terraces, and water channels that were built into the mountaintop. The Inca city was built with huge blocks of stone and includes an agricultural area with many terraces.
Average summer rates in Machu Picchu: June — $58, July — $59, August — $59 SHARE it with your friends!